Friday, June 24, 2011

Word Family Board


I've had a few emails about how I use my word family board and it's contents.  I'm so happy to be able to share.  Here are the details...
As you can see, my board is Seuss themed. These are some of the decorations (glitter) that I used to set up the board...
I made pockets at the bottom of the board for each vowel family using scrapbook paper and Seuss themed letters.

For each vowel family that we learn, I made a word card. I glued each card to a piece of scrapbook paper (I actually have short vowel families on polka dot red/blue paper, and long vowel families on solid red/blue paper) and then laminated them.



Each week we introduce 2-3 word families within our word wall/spelling curriculum.  I usually begin by reading a book that promotes that family. After the read aloud, the students and I generate a list of words in the same family, much like a word ladder. 

We read the list together, using my doc camera, and add the word card to the board.  VOILA!!! An interactive board for read around the room, writer's workshop reference, etc.

 I love using my word family board and the students even begin to become dependent on referring to it.  Of course you could use any theme with this same concept..ocean, jungle, etc. Some of my teammates even had a western themed word family board and polka dot board, using the same families from our curriculum. I hope that this post helps and inspires! Of course, I appreciate any feedback (giggles)!

9 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! This is great! Thanks so much for the pics and details. I can hardly wait to get started on mine.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this! I was just thinking about how to display all the words we learn and study using the chunks and word families in our curriculum. This is great!
    Ms.A

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to 1st Grade this year (I have always taught Kindergarten), and this is a FABULOUS idea! Such a great way to display word families! Welcome to the blogging world - I am super new at this. Come and visit me at:

    http://dugginsdoodlebugs.blogspot.com/

    Kelie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. I'm so excited that there are people out there interested in using this! Thanks for inspiring me ladies! Love it.


    @Sandy - yay! glad it's what you needed!
    @Ms. A - Happy that you like it!
    @Mrs. Duggins...headed to your blog now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omgosh! I love these. This is such a neat idea. I am going to still this ideas if you don't mind. I am your newest blog follower! I just found your blog on clutter free and I am so glad that I clicked on your name. I am off to explore the rest of your blog. I actually just started my own and I would love if you would follow me

    www.pocketfullofkinders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic, you should link this up to my Word Wall Linky Party.

    I love that I am your 50th follower. :)

    Ms. M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ms.M! I'll link up today. And YAY!!! I'm so excited to have my 50th follower. I'm sending goodies your way!!!
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. This so cute. My whole classroom is Seuss themed. Did you make the word cards with the seuss characters on them yourself?

    ReplyDelete